Rasmuson Foundation and The Alaska Community Foundation have partnered to support 2023 camps and youth programming across Alaska. If your organization is eligible for funding as described below, we invite you to submit a grant application through The Alaska Community Foundation.
Grant Request Amount Range: Up to $15,000 per location, $45,000 maximum.
Purpose & Context
Camps and youth programming opportunities are essential for Alaskan families. Alaska has the highest outdoor recreation participation rate in the United States (tied with Montana). Learning to be comfortable and competent on the land and outdoors can be a rite of passage. Camps provide lifelong experiences for many, but not all. Camps are expensive to operate, and these organizations typically charge a fee that can be a barrier to families. More children can attend camp with additional scholarship support, regardless of their family’s economic background.
The Camp Initiative prioritizes funding for organizations that are addressing the following key issues:
- Fees/Costs – scholarships/camperships to assist in a family’s ability to pay, or for camps that do not charge a fee, the ability to pay staff and/or increase the number of participants (campers);
- Special expenses – may include traveling activity kits that reach youth who are unable to attend day or resident/overnight camps, increased transportation costs, or changes in program delivery; and
- Training – access to staff professional development and training for counselors.
Key Considerations (Please refer to the Camp Initiative Grant Guidelines for more details)
- Capacity to Implement
- Reach & Impact
- Equitable Access to Diverse Camp Experiences Statewide
Your organization is eligible for funding through this grant opportunity if it is one of the following:
- 501(c)3 public charitable organization with 509(a)(1), 509(a)(2), or 509(a)(3) public charitable status as designated in your IRS Determination letter (including qualified faith-based organizations)
- Faith-based organization providing social services to the broader community
- Federally-recognized Tribes or Tribal nonprofit organizations
- City governments or Boroughs
- K-12 Schools
The following are not eligible for grant funding:
- State or federal government agencies
- For-profit organizations or businesses
- Private nonprofit organizations (those not identified in their IRS determination letter as 509(a)(1), 509(a)(2), or 509(a)(3)
- Requests for support that do not fall within the funding guidelines outlined above
- Activities that improperly discriminate regarding race, gender, marital status, sexual preference, age, disability, creed, or ethnicity, or grants for religious indoctrination or other religious activities.
- Review the Camps Grant Guidelines to ensure your organization is eligible for funding.
- Contact The Alaska Community Foundation (ACF) grant staff at (contact information below) if your organization is a strong fit with the eligibility criteria and is interested in applying. ACF is happy to discuss if your organization is a likely candidate for funding.
- Log in to your account in ACF’s online grant management account at https://www.grantinterface.com/Home/Logon?urlkey=alaska. If you are new to ACF’s grant management system, you must create a new profile before applying.
- Applicants will be asked to provide:
- Organizational background (Mission Statement, services provided, geographical area served, brief history)
- Organizational budget
- Background of camp and/or programming offerings
- List of board members
- Requested amount
- Description of need as specifically related to camp and other youth programming
- Project budget and budget narrative
- Applications can be saved in process and returned to for completion.
Once an application is submitted, it cannot be modified by the
- Grants will be reviewed soon after submission and award
announcements should be expected by mid-April 2023.
Applications are due: Wednesday, March 1 by 5:00 PM (AKST)
We look forward to hearing from all interested organizations that would like to apply for the Camp Initiative grant opportunity.
ACF Contact Information
The Alaska Community Foundation
Programs & Grants