The Gary Martin Swim Scholarship Fund was established with The Alaska Community Foundation in 2015. Gary Eugene Martin was a longtime resident of Soldotna, Alaska who lifted others up with his positivity and encouraging nature. His list of volunteer activities is long and reflects how much he cared about those he shared a community with. Gary was known to his family as someone who loved animals and spoiled his grandchildren. He showed his passion for helping youth through his involvement in competitive swimming. For years, he served as an official coach and mentor to many young swimmers.
His legacy carries on today through the awarding of the Gary Martin Swim Scholarship. Students entering or already enrolled in a post-secondary university or trade school, who were involved in high school swimming. Preference will be given to applicants with a GPA of 2.4 and above who demonstrate financial need.
Award will be up to $1,000.
- A student entering or enrolled in college or trade school
- The student must have been involved in competitive swimming in Alaska at the high school level
- Applicants with financial need
- Applicants with a GPA of 2.4 and higher. Students with a 2.5 – 3.5 GPA are preferred.
Applicants will be Asked to Provide:
- Personal Essay
- High School transcript (College transcript also if applicable)
- Letters of Recommendation: two are required, and one must attest to your involvement in competitive swimming at a high school level in Alaska
- Statement of financial need
IMPORTANT: Scholarship recipients must submit their student ID number and program information to ACF through the online system before their award can be disbursed. If we do not receive the above information by June 30, 2023, the scholarship may not be awarded. Please contact ACF is you cannot send in the information by this date..
Contact The Alaska Community Foundation with questions: firstname.lastname@example.org or 907-334-6700