A fund supporting scholarships for track and field, or cross country high school student-athletes in Anchorage
Hello, I’m Barry Koch. I Grew up in southern California, where cross country and track & field were among the highlights of my high school years. After many years of pursuing different education and job opportunities, I ended up here in Alaska, where I became a teacher, coach, and finally, an official starter for cross country and track & field in Anchorage.
I want to is give back to the running community that has been so important to me by awarding two $2000.00 scholarships each year. The scholarships will be awarded to any region IV or Anchorage area high school seniors who apply to college or technical school.
- Any Region IV or Anchorage area graduating high school senior applying to college, university or technical college.
- GPA of 2.5 or higher
- Two or more years of participation in track and field or cross country running
- Demonstrated financial need
- Students considering a career in education
Applicants will be Asked to Provide:
- Personal Essay (no more than 2 paragraphs) explaining how participating in athletics has positively contributed to his/her high school experience.
- Recommendations from track and field or cross country coaches
IMPORTANT: Scholarship recipients must submit their student ID number and program information by June 30, 2024, to ACF through the online system before their award can be disbursed. Failure to do so will be an automatic forfeiture of the award unless student chooses an award deferment.