As the year comes to a close, please consider making a gift to a fund at The Alaska Community Foundation. We are here to assist you with your charitable giving. To receive the best possible service and help ensure your donations to funds at The Alaska Community Foundation qualify for a charitable income tax deduction in the 2023 tax year, please keep this information in mind:
- Gifts of complex assets such as real estate, closely-held business interests or stock, and planned giving vehicles may require input from ACF’s Board, CEO, and CFO, and should be discussed with ACF staff as soon as possible for potential closure by the end of the calendar year.
- Gifts of mutual funds or special securities (tendered stock or restricted stock) should be initiated by Friday, December 1, 2023.
- Gifts of appreciated stock should be initiated by Friday, December 15, 2023.
- Wire transfers of cash must be initiated no later than December 26, 2023.
- Checks sent via private carriers such as FedEx, UPS, and DHL must be physically received at ACF on or before December 31, 2023.
- Checks sent via the US Postal Service to ACF or Affiliates must be postmarked on or before December 31, 2023. Any checks postmarked after December 31, 2023, will be recorded as a gift made in 2024.
- Credit card gifts via the ACF online giving page may be made through 11:59 p.m. Alaska Time, December 31, 2023, at https://alaskacf.org/funds/.
NOTE: Under IRS rules, IRAs may NOT make charitable distributions to a Donor Advised Fund (DAF). Please do not have your IRA custodian send a distribution to your DAF, as that may be treated as a taxable distribution to you.
To obtain information required to make a gift of stock or a wire transfer, answers to your questions about year-end giving, and to ensure your intended gift is properly credited, please contact ACF at email@example.com or call an ACF team member at 907-334-6700.
The offices of The Alaska Community Foundation are open Monday-Thursday, 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., and Fridays 9:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. We are available Friday afternoons from 1 p.m. – 5 p.m. by appointment. Our offices will be closed in observance of holidays: Thursday, November 23, Monday, December 25, and Monday, January 1.
Please contact your financial or tax professional for tax advice.
Year-End Grant Recommendations
Donor advised fund holders may wish to recommend grants as part of year-end campaigns or holiday contributions. To optimize the likelihood that nonprofit recipients receive grant checks in 2023, recommendations should be made by noon on Friday, December 8. Grant recommendations should be made online through your ACF Community Donor Portal. A signed Grant Recommendation form may be submitted to the ACF office at firstname.lastname@example.org if you do not have access to your online donor portal.
Fundholders will receive a letter on or around December 15 that reflects the spendable balance for 2024 for endowed fund(s). This amount will be posted to funds in the first week of January 2024.
Thank you for all you do to support The Alaska Community Foundation.