A fund to support Alaskan athletes with aspirations of competing in the Winter Olympics.
Winter Olympians began working with ACF in 2003 and established the fund in September of 2012 to support athletes working to achieve a specific objective. The program offers funding to assist current and potential Alaska winter Olympians with the high costs of preparing for Olympic competition. Awards are to Alaska residents who show regional, national or international promise in Olympic winter sports and who also have financial need. The funds are awarded by a committee consisting of several former Alaska winter Olympians, as well as other supporters of winter Olympic sports. The funds will assist Alaskan athletes with costs such as race entry fees, gear and travel expenses.
Receiving a scholarship from the Alaska Winter Olympians Fund is extremely influential. It allows me not to constantly stress about the travel expenses that I accumulate when competing at the international level, and instead be able to focus on really preparing myself to do my best. The Alaska Community Foundation is making a real difference by helping Alaska’s elite athletes continue to be positive role models in our state.
Reese Hanneman, 2013 and 2014 AWOF Scholarship Recipient
Erik Bjornsen – Cross Country Skiing – www.erikbjornsen.com
Tyler Kornfield – Cross Country Skiing – www.tylerkornfield.com
David Norris – Nordic Skiing – blogs.fasterskier.com/davidnorris/
Rosie Brennan – Cross Country Skiing – www.rosiebrennan.com/
Rosie Mancari – Snowboard – www.rosiemancari.com/
Guidelines and FAQ’S Qualifications:
- Applicant must be an Alaskan resident and US Citizen.
- Applicant must have the goal of pursuing Olympic success.
- Applicant must be competing in one of the winter Olympic disciplines, regardless of their level of competition (junior, development, or senior).
- Applicant must abide by the code of conduct outlined by his/her National Governing Body, if applicable.
- Athletes with demonstrated financial need.
Criteria (in addition to those listed on the main scholarship site):
- Personal statement regarding your goals and how this funding will help you achieve them.
- Recommendation from a coach or your National Governing Body (one is required, two will be accepted)
- Budget specifying costs of activities, equipment and other athletic needs