The purpose of the Alaska Native Students in Arts and Media Fund (ANSAM) is to support Alaska Native students who want to pursue higher education in visual & creative arts and media. This includes but is not limited to photography, videography, journalism, creative writing, graphic and digital design, and other arts. This annual scholarship will provide $5,000 to help students acquire and build the skills to tell their own personal and cultural stories through visual and other media. Two scholarships will be offered in 2023 and can be used for university-level courses or professional development & training in these areas.
In 2024, two (2) scholarships will be provided at $5000 for students seeking training and/or development in visual media to aid in the ability to tell their own cultural stories.
- Alaska Native
- Enrolled at least half time (6 hours) majoring in photography, videography, journalism, writing, graphic & digital design, drawing, or painting) and seeking a career in art, journalism, communications, photography, or videography
- If not attending a college/university, is currently enrolled, or seeking to enroll, in professional development & training in these areas
Applicants will be Asked to Provide:
- Portfolio of examples of work completed in the chosen media (Minimum of 3, Maximum of 8)
- Short Personal Essay
- Statement of Financial Need (FAFSA recommended)
- Two Letters of Recommendation regarding participation in school activities and community service
- Proof of Application or Acceptance to a post-secondary institution or professional development training
IMPORTANT: Scholarship recipients must submit their student ID number and program information to ACF through the online system before their award can be disbursed. If we do not receive the above information by June 30, 2024, the scholarship may not be awarded. Please contact ACF if you cannot send in the information by this date.