The GCI Scholarship is currently accepting applications at this time.
The 2021 GCI Scholarship will accept applications January 20th, 2021 – March 18th, 2021. Applications must be submitted on the Alaska Community Foundation no later than 5:00 pm Alaska Standard Time.
Over the past 5 years, GCI has donated more than $10 million in cash, products, scholarships and grants to Alaska organizations. GCI also provides employees with 16 hours of paid leave to volunteer with local organizations. In 2018, more than 660 employees volunteered nearly 8,200 hours.
The GCI Scholarship provides financial assistance and promotion of Alaska students pursuing a major, trade or vocational training relevant to science, technology, engineering or mathematics (STEM). The applicants’ education and training endeavors should help to ensure an adequate, well-trained workforce in technology.
This may include but not limited to coding, web design, gaming, IT, cyber security, product technology, medical technicians, health aides and installing and maintaining networks.
Applicants who live in Rural Alaska and applicants who express an intention to return to Alaska to start their careers are strongly encouraged to apply.
The 2021 GCI Scholarship is a $80,000 investment in Alaska’s next generation of leaders. This year GCI will provide 40 scholarships at the $2,000 level.
- 2020 graduates and 2021 graduating seniors of an Alaska high school
- GPA of 2.8 or higher
- Seeking degree or certification with a STEM focus. (View this list of some examples of accepted STEM majors)
- Attending or enrolling in an accredited college or university or trade school.
- Applicants who express an intention to return to Alaska to start careers.
- Applicants living in a Rural location. Rural is outside of the Municipality of Anchorage, Fairbanks North Star Borough and the City of Juneau.
- Personal essay
- High school transcripts
- One letter of recommendation from a teacher, former or current employer, clergy members (preachers, pastors, rabbis, imams, etc.), a coach, school counselor or advisor, or a leader of an organization you are associated with
GCI employees and contracted staff, and their children, are not eligible to apply for this scholarship award.
IMPORTANT: Successful applicants must submit their student ID number and program information to ACF through the online system before their award can be disbursed. If we do not receive the above information by July 31, 2021, the scholarship may not be awarded. Please contact ACF if you cannot send in the information by this date.