The Frank and Carol Pinkerton Orchestral Scholarship is not currently accepting applications.
The 2019 Frank and Carol Pinkerton Orchestral Scholarship will run March 7, 2019 – April 25, 2019. Applications must be submitted no later than 5 pm AKST.
This is a completion scholarship for students who have declared a major in music education and provides funding up to 2 years. The scholarship will be paid directly to the applicant’s university to cover tuition, musical instruction or other direct musical expenses.
The Frank and Carol Pinkerton Orchestral String Instrument Scholarship is for students who display talent, dedication to the pursuit of a career in orchestral instruction and a serious commitment to an advanced music education study program in a recognized music school, college, or university. Students of violin, viola, cello and string bass who are admitted to a music education program are eligible to apply. It is the donor’s intent that students who receive this scholarship will teach orchestra in Alaska schools and promote the same dedication and legacy to music education as that of the Pinkertons. Preference will be given to applicants meeting criteria in the following order:
- Applicants who attend an Alaskan university and intend on becoming orchestral instructors in Alaska
- Applicants who attend a university outside of Alaska but intend to come to Alaska to be orchestral instructors
- Applicants who are enrolled in an accredited music education program outside Alaska and intend to be orchestral instructors
- Applicant must demonstrate motivation and musical potential.
- Applicant must be pursuing a degree in music education with an emphasis in string instruments.
- Applicant must be a currently enrolled college student.
- Applicants must be in good academic standing with a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0.
- Applicant must be an entering junior or senior and be enrolled full-time in a music education program by the beginning of the semester in which the award will be used.
- Successful applicants are eligible to reapply; preference will be given to previous awardees.
*Before starting your application, please review the Pinkerton Scholarship Guidelines and Application Procedure. The guidelines are designed to help you better understand the necessary qualifications for the scholarship and the types of attributes the selection committee is seeking.
IMPORTANT: Successful applicants must submit their student ID number and program information to ACF through the online system before their award can be disbursed. If we do not receive the above information by September 30, 2019, the scholarship may not be awarded. Please contact ACF if you cannot send in the information by this date.