The Donald Giles Vocational Scholarship Fund is not currently accepting applications.
The 2021 Donald Giles Vocational Scholarship Fund will accept applications January 20th, 2021 – March 31st, 2021. Applications must be submitted no later than 5 pm AKST.
New to The Alaska Community Foundation is the Donald Giles Vocational Scholarship Fund. Don Giles, the Former CEO of Icicle Seafoods got his start working the summers in Seward in the 1970’s and spent lots of time in Seward, Homer and Petersburg over the years. All three communities were very supportive and instrumental to the success of Icicle over the years.
In speaking with Mr. Giles he stated, “I’m glad to be able to give something back to these wonderful communities There is a need and shortage of skilled vocational trade people in Alaska and hopefully this Scholarship will help jump start some young Alaskans into successful jobs and careers that are desperately needed in Alaska.”
Students located in Petersburg, Seward or the Homer communities are invited to apply for a scholarship towards their vocational education.
Three (3) scholarships will be awarded for $5,000 each.
- Received High-school diploma or GED certificate within the past two years;
- Is a resident of the Petersburg, Seward or Homer community;
- Pursuing training, certification, or a degree in vocational or trade studies (such as HVAC, plumbing, electrician, refrigeration, IT, Heavy equipment or engine tech, culinary, welding, construction tech, office and biz tech, etc.)
- A letter of recommendation from a school counselor, teacher, or adult mentor
- Individuals with the intention to return to work in home community or at least within the state of Alaska
IMPORTANT: Successful applicants must submit their student ID number and program information to ACF through the online system before their award can be disbursed. If we do not receive the above information by June 30, 2021, the scholarship may not be awarded. Please contact ACF if you cannot send in the information by this date.