The Don DeWitt Scholarship fund is not currently accepting applications.
The 2019 Donald R. DeWitt Scholarship application period will run from March 7, 2019 to April 18, 2019. Applications must be submitted no later than 5:00 pm Alaska Standard Time to be considered.
Mr. DeWitt was a long-time math teacher at Lathrop High School and West Valley High School for many years. Although he had no children of his own, one could say he raised a number of generations of Fairbanks youth through his tenure.
He quietly provided scholarship funds since 2010 through the Fairbanks Retired Teachers Association to support Fairbanks students. He has bequeathed his estate to support and encourage Fairbanks North Star Borough high school students to further their academic pursuits.
The scholarship fund will provide two awards of $2,500 each in 2019.
- High school graduate that attended a Fairbanks North Star Borough School District high school for Junior and Senior years.
- Not within the top 10% of their graduating class.
- Attending or enrolling in any accredited college or university which does not require any religious viewpoint or tenant (including school pressures) for admission, attendance or graduation. Exclusive online university programs are not eligible.
- A personal essay including your past accomplishments, work experience, community service and future plans.
- Three letters of recommendation. Two from the applicant’s high school teachers and one from a non-family adult.
IMPORTANT: Successful applicants must submit their college or university student ID number and program information to ACF through the online system before their award can be disbursed. If we do not receive the above information by September 30, 2019 the scholarship may not be awarded. Please contact ACF if you cannot send in the information by this date.