The Chef Cotter Scholarship is currently accepting applications.
The Chef Cotter Scholarship will accept applications January 20th, 2021 – March 31st, 2021. Applications must be submitted no later than 5 pm AKST.
The Chef Cotter Scholarship was established at The Alaska Community Foundation in 2015 in memory of Jonah Cotter. Chef Cotter held many positions in the hospitality and tourism industry within the state of Alaska, most prominently as the Chef de Cuisine of Muse, the Marx Brothers’ Restaurant. Chef Cotter loved working with kids and had a personal dream of bringing healthy cooking and eating habits to a diverse array of students. While his enjoyment for food and culinary arts defined his life, his legacy is carried on in the love he showed for others and his passion for culinary arts. Jonah was a fun-loving, caring, goodhearted man who loved to make people laugh and his memory lives on in the awarding of this scholarship.
The Chef Cotter Scholarship will award one $1,000 scholarship to an Alaskan high school senior or student attending a post-secondary institution and pursuing a career in culinary arts or the hospitality and tourism industry. A student receiving the scholarship may re-apply for one consecutive year.
- Graduated, or currently graduating, from an Alaskan high school or are attending an Alaskan post-secondary institution
- Attending or seeking to attend an accredited culinary, hospitality and tourism management program
- Strong work ethic and passion for success in the culinary or hospitality and tourism industries
- Personal Essay
- 2 Letters of recommendation
- High school or post-secondary transcripts
- Statement of financial need
IMPORTANT: Successful applicants must submit their student ID number and program information to ACF through the online system before their award can be disbursed. If we do not receive the above information by July 31, 2021, the scholarship may not be awarded. Please contact ACF if you cannot send in the information by this date.