The Senator Bettye Davis Memorial Scholarship Fund is not currently accepting applications.
North to the Future Business Professional Women presents, in partnership with the Rasmuson Foundation, and managed by The Alaska Community Foundation, the Senator Bettye Davis Memorial Scholarship. The 2021 Senator Bettye Davis Memorial Scholarship fund will accept applications February 4, 2021 to March 31, 2021. Applications must be submitted on the Alaska Community Foundation no later than 5:00 pm Alaska Standard Time.
Mrs. Bettye Davis graduated from Elliott High School in Bernice, La., and received her bachelor’s degree in social work from Grambling State University. She began her career as a nurse at Alaska Psychiatric Institute and retired from the State of Alaska, as a social worker with the Department of Health and Social Services. Upon retirement, she served as a member of the Anchorage School Board for 11 years, including two years on the State Board of Education.
Mrs. Davis served as an Alaska State Representative from 1990-1996, and became the first African-American to be elected as an Alaska State Senator in 2000, where she served until 2012. Davis was a Democratic Party member of the Alaska Senate, representing the K District.
Senator Davis had a love for her community and the state of Alaska, and was specifically devoted to education, children’s issues, heath care, women’s rights and the advancement of minorities. She was steadfast in her faith and was a member of Shiloh Missionary Baptist Church for more than 45 years.
The Senator Bettye Davis Memorial Scholarship assists students who intends to pursue a career in social work. Scholarship awards are up to $1,000.
- Woman of color and/or from a minority community
- Household income of 125% or less of Federal Poverty Line
- Resident of Anchorage bowl
- Undergraduate/4 year, Graduate School or Vocational School enrollment
- Current or intended student of Social Work
- Strong volunteer participation in community service, or social programs in the community
- Entry Level (adult) student
- Re-Entry (adult) student
- Returning (adult) student
- Personal Essay
- Statement of Financial Need
- Two Letters of Recommendation
- Verification of Application or Acceptance to post-secondary institution
IMPORTANT: Successful applicants must submit their student ID number and program information to ACF through the online system before their award can be disbursed. If we do not receive the above information by June 30, 2021, the scholarship may not be awarded. Please contact ACF if you cannot send in the information by this date.