The Art Jess Scholarship is not currently accepting applications.
The 2020 Art Jess Scholarship fund will accept January 20th, 2020 – March 31st, 2020. Applications must be submitted no later than 5 pm AKST.
The Art Jess Scholarship is open to all Alaskans, and is intended to assist Alaskans with their post-secondary education, including but not limited to trade schools, vocational schools, undergraduate and graduate schools, community colleges and distance learning.
The Art Jess Scholarship Fund was created in 2017 through the Chilkat Valley Community Foundation, an Affiliate of The Alaska Community Foundation.
Art Jess, a member of the Morongo Band of Mission Indians, was born kind-hearted and generous, qualities he kept his whole life. He spent six decades in Alaska where he served in the Army and National Guard, and worked on notable projects like the Trans Alaska Pipeline, Klondike Highway, and the Point Lay relocation. Eventually, Art settled in the Chilkat Valley where he was an active and generous community member for 30 years.
Art Jess was a champion for spiritual and social advancement of humanity in general and of Native American people in particular. According to his daughter, “Art believed in the best of people, that the world is a beautiful place, that all is well, and that everything will work out.” Art was a lifelong learner, and believed that a person never really graduated until life was over.
The Art Jess Scholarship Fund will provide scholarships of at least $1,000, renewable up to 4 years. Number of awards and amounts given per year may vary. Preference will be given to applicants who are a Chilkat Valley resident or Chilkat Valley tribal member; and/or have completed one year of post-secondary education.
Applicants are encouraged to review and consider the scholarship preferences prior to submitting an application.
- Alaska resident
- Alaska Native, American Indian, and/or Hawaiian Native
- Applicant must have a minimum GPA of 2.5 at the high school or post-secondary level
Preference is given to the following applicants:
- Chilkat Valley resident or Chilkat Indian Village or Chilkoot Indian Association tribal member
- Current enrollment in first year of post-secondary education or completion of one year of post-secondary education (minimum GPA of 2.5)
- Previous Art Jess Scholarship recipients in good standing (for up to four years)
- Proof of Alaska residency
- If Native preference is met, copy of Alaska Native, American Indian tribal enrollment and/or Hawaiian Native Registry card
- Three current letters of recommendation (written and dated within the last 12 months) If applicant is a previous Art Jess Scholarship recipient, one of these must be from applicant’s program advisor.
- Résumé of education, work experience, activities, personal interests, honors/awards, and volunteer/community service
- Personal essay which includes experiences growing up, family, special talents, interests, community service and post-secondary goals including what type of degree/field of study applicant is pursuing and what led you to this field of study.
- Official high school or post-secondary transcripts (minimum GPA of 2.5)
- Statement of financial need including Student Aid report, information on financial aid packages, scholarships, educational costs and funding sources.
IMPORTANT: Successful applicants must submit their student ID number and program information to ACF through the online system before their award can be disbursed. If we do not receive the above information by June 30, 2020, the scholarship may not be awarded. Please contact ACF if you cannot send in the information by this date.