The Art Jess Scholarship is currently accepting applications.
DEADLINE EXTENDED TO APRIL 9th, 2020!
The 2020 Art Jess Scholarship fund will accept January 20th, 2020 – March 31st, 2020. Applications must be submitted no later than 5 pm AKST.
The Art Jess Scholarship is open to all Alaskans, and is intended to assist Alaskans with their post-secondary education, including but not limited to trade schools, vocational schools, undergraduate and graduate schools, community colleges and distance learning.
The Art Jess Scholarship Fund was created in 2017 through the Chilkat Valley Community Foundation, an Affiliate of The Alaska Community Foundation.
Art Jess, a member of the Morongo Band of Mission Indians, was born kind-hearted and generous, qualities he kept his whole life. He spent six decades in Alaska where he served in the Army and National Guard, and worked on notable projects like the Trans Alaska Pipeline, Klondike Highway, and the Point Lay relocation. Eventually, Art settled in the Chilkat Valley where he was an active and generous community member for 30 years.
Art Jess was a champion for spiritual and social advancement of humanity in general and of Native American people in particular. According to his daughter, “Art believed in the best of people, that the world is a beautiful place, that all is well, and that everything will work out.” Art was a lifelong learner, and believed that a person never really graduated until life was over.
The Art Jess Scholarship Fund will provide scholarships of at least $1,000, renewable up to 4 years. Number of awards and amounts given per year may vary. Preference will be given to applicants who are a Chilkat Valley resident or Chilkat Valley tribal member; and/or have completed one year of post-secondary education.
Applicants are encouraged to review and consider the scholarship preferences prior to submitting an application.
- Alaska resident
- Alaska Native, American Indian, and/or Hawaiian Native
- Applicant must have a minimum GPA of 2.5 at the high school or post-secondary level (i.e. your current education level)
- Previous Art Jess Scholarship recipients (for up to four years)
- Chilkat Valley resident or Chilkat Indian Village or Chilkoot Indian Association tribal member
- Completion of one year of post-secondary education or current enrollment in first year of post-secondary education
- Proof of Alaskan residency
- Proof of Alaska Native, Native American or Native Hawaiian ethnicity if applicable
- Three current (written and dated within 12 months) letters of recommendation
- If applicant is a previous Art Jess Scholarship recipient, one current recommendation letter must be from a program advisor.
- Resume of education, work experience, activities, personal interests, honors/awards, and volunteer/community service
- Personal Essay (written and media formats accepted)
- Official Transcripts
- Statement of financial need, including Student Aid Report, if you have received a financial aid package from your school and the amounts of all your other financial aid
IMPORTANT: Successful applicants must submit their student ID number and program information to ACF through the online system before their award can be disbursed. If we do not receive the above information by June 30, 2020, the scholarship may not be awarded. Please contact ACF if you cannot send in the information by this date.