Position Title: Staff Accountant
Reports To: Reports to the Accounting Manager / Chief Financial Officer
Position Type: Full-time, non-exempt
Under the supervision of the Accounting Manager, the staff accountant performs accounting and financial management functions according to standard operating procedures. These tasks include processing accounts payable invoices, posting grant checks, posting cash receipts, creating donor records, posting gift records, filing, and completing related documentation and reporting functions. This position also includes special projects related to the ongoing strategy of the financial department as required.
Knowledge of basic accounting principles and accounting software required. Basic computer and intermediate Microsoft office skills are required, as well as an aptitude and interest in developing these skills further. Must be flexible, organized, able to handle a fast pace, possess good communication skills, and able to work well with the ACF team.
Responsibilities (include but are not limited to):
Provide financial support services, client services, and administrative support. Support the Finance and other ACF staff. Duties include but are not limited to:
- Respond to client inquiries as directed.
- Process gifts, maintain contact information and create entries using ACF’s proprietary database software.
- Prepare acknowledgment & thank you letters to donors.
- Maintain donor confidentiality.
- Reconcile gift records.
Accounting Support Duties:
- Process approved payables invoices and grants for payment, including verifying the accuracy of the documentation and balances.
- Establish and maintain vendor and payables files.
- Input or review gift records, profiles, and associated materials and post into the accounting system.
- Process and file 1099’s annually.
- Prepare accounts receivable invoices as needed, record in accounting system.
- Perform basic reconciliations.
- Responds to donor, vendor and staff requests for account information.
- Enter and maintain database records and coding.
- Provide reports for donors and other staff, as needed.
- Self-motivated and a self-starter. Must enjoy working with people, but also be able to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Able to multi-task, set priorities, and adapt to changing office needs. This is a dynamic, fast-paced, open space office environment.
- Attention to detail and follow-through critical.
- Able to maintain required records, reports, and files in an organized manner.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or related field, OR 5 years of progressive accounting experience.
- Experience with accounting software.
- Experience in non-profit accounting and fund accounting.
- Experience with complex database systems.
- Proficient with Excel and all Microsoft Office programs.
- Ability to adhere to processes and procedures around database entry maintenance and coding.
The salary range for this position is $45,000 to $55,000 depending upon experience. ACF provides a generous benefits package which includes, medical, dental, vision, and a retirement plan with employer participation after 1 year of service. The Alaska Community Foundation is an equal opportunity employer.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to Christine Brown firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone or drop-in inquiries. Initial review September 9. 2020. Position open until filled.