The Northwest Arctic Borough Village Improvement Fund (VIF) was created as a fund dedicated to Borough villages for capital projects and improvements in service within the communities which it serves. The VIF will support projects, infrastructure, and quality of life services for our villages within the Northwest Arctic Borough. The VIF is managed the Northwest Arctic Borough’s Economic Development department, and is overseen by the Village Improvement Commission (VIC), which ensures that residents have input and meaningfully participate in decisions about how the VIF funds are spent across the region.
About The Alaska Community Foundation
The Alaska Community Foundation (ACF) is a nonprofit, philanthropic institution with a mission to inspire the spirit of giving and connect people, organizations, and causes to strengthen Alaska’s communities now and forever. As a statewide community foundation, ACF and its component funds work with individual donors, families, nonprofits, communities, and corporations across Alaska to increase philanthropy and to connect people who care with causes they care about. ACF was established in 1995 and currently manages more than $92 million in assets and over 500 funds for the benefit of Alaskans. Since its inception, ACF has awarded more than $65 million in grants in Alaska.
The Alaska Community Foundation is seeking to hire a Grants Associate to support the ongoing grants management work of the Village Improvement Fund. The VIF Program Associate fills a critical role in supporting the VIF grantmaking process, including assisting applicants, facilitating the VIC’s grant award decision making process, and supporting grantees through project report completion. This is a part-time position that reports to ACF’s VP of Programs and Grants and Northwest Arctic Borough Economic Development Director. Preference for local candidates.
Roles & Responsibilities (including but not limited to)
- Coordinate grant program and provide assistance to grantees and applicants.
- Manage and maintain VIF online grants management portal, including applications forms, and monitoring of reports.
- In collaboration with NAB staff, provide support for the planning and execution of VIC meetings (e.g. grant application evaluation and decision process).
- Manage VIF web and social media platforms.
- Manage and organize documents and maintain photo catalogue.
- Provide database management, including maintaining applicant and grantee lists.
- Provide NAB staff with program and grantee information as needed for the annual progress report to Teck Alaska.
- Support VIC’s annual planning process and work with the VIC members in scheduling and supporting meetings and events.
- Support the Village Improvement Fund Coordinator and VIF Capital Projects Manager in the administration of the VIF program.
- Travel with NAB VIF staff members to regional communities to support applicants and grantees.
- Participate in training opportunities in partnership with ACF.
- A minimum of two (2) years of experience in an office setting
- Experience creating communications materials
- Experience managing web and/or social media platforms
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Strong networking and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated qualities of integrity, loyalty, discretion, and self-motivation
- Demonstrated proficiency using Microsoft Office programs
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality
- Associate’s degree preferred
- Passion for community development, and personal commitment to philanthropy, including the mission of VIF/ACF
- Ability to take initiative, work independently with minimal supervision, and work as a member of a team
- Detail-oriented with strong organizational skills
- Ability to prioritize, multi-task, and meet deadlines
This part-time position is 20 hours per week, $25 per hour.
The VIF Grants Associate position is open immediately and applications will be accepted until Wednesday, September 25, 2019. Applications must include a cover letter, resume, and references. Preference for local candidates.
To apply or for more information, please contact ACF’s VP of Programs and Grants, Katie St. John, at email@example.com or 907-249-6617.