The Alaska Community Foundation (ACF) is a nonprofit, public foundation with a mission of inspiring the spirit of giving and connecting people, organizations, and causes to strengthen Alaska’s communities now and forever. ACF works with donors to increase philanthropy and meet needs around the state through effective grantmaking. Managing more than $140 million in assets and over 1,800 funds for the benefit of Alaskans, ACF and their 11 local community foundation Affiliates grant between $6 million and $10 million annually to charitable projects and nonprofit organizations. This includes awarding more than twelve hundred grants and scholarship per year through more than 20 competitive grant cycles and more than 30 competitive scholarship cycles. Since its inception ACF has awarded more than $75 million in grants in Alaska.
The Affiliate Program is at the heart of ACF and core to its mission. Established in 2008 through a partnership with Rasmuson Foundation, the Affiliate Program currently supports 11 Affiliate communities across Alaska to build localized philanthropy.
ACF empowers local groups of dedicated volunteer Advisors to grow their community’s endowments to support statewide nonprofits and charitable projects, now and forever. Affiliate Advisory Boards recommend grants to local nonprofits, lead efforts to support organizations within their communities, and encourage their communities to invest in themselves to build stronger and more vibrant lives for their residents. As a result, ACF and its Affiliates increase individual philanthropy among Alaskans, encourage local leadership to identify community issues and invest in solutions, and grow permanent charitable assets in communities across Alaska to sustain nonprofit organizations, tribal entities, and educational entities.
The Affiliate Senior Program Officer co-manages ACF’s Affiliate Program in collaboration with the Co-Affiliate Senior Program Officer, including assisting with overall strategy, budget, reporting, oversight of program evaluation, and coordination of requests for support. This position is responsible for supporting the operations of the Affiliate Program by managing half of our eleven local community foundations, grant programs, and communications and marketing needs for each of ACF’s Affiliate communities. The Affiliate Senior Program Officer will also support half of our local Advisory Boards in each of ACF’s Affiliate communities. This position will also provide strategic insight into the growth of the Affiliate Program and assist with identifying and tracking outcomes.
Essential Functions/Roles & Responsibilities (including, but not limited to):
- Maintain in-depth knowledge of community foundations, structures, and strategies; this includes the ability to clearly communicate operational, legal, financial, and community benefits of a local community foundation to donors, grantees, Affiliate Advisory Boards, community members, and others.
- Co-manage the Affiliate Program with the other Affiliate Senior Program Officer, including assisting with the overall strategy, budget, reporting, oversight of program evaluation, and coordination of requests for support.
- Collaborate with the Affiliate Program team on strategic program recommendations, improvements, and outcome measures.
- Manage and nurture relationships with local Affiliate Program Managers (one in each of ACF’s Affiliate communities), including overseeing recruitment, hiring, onboarding, training, development, and performance management activities. Serve as the primary liaison between ACF staff and local Affiliate Program Managers.
- Support and nurture relationships with local volunteer Advisory Boards (one in each of ACF’s Affiliate communities), including training, onboarding, communications, and support.
- Manage Affiliate grant programs, including maintaining knowledge of grantmaking policies and collaborating with Affiliate Program Managers and Advisory Board members to create grant guidelines, applications, reports, and other documents. Provide online grant system, grant writing, and reporting support to grant applicants and grantees. Work with ACF staff to connect Affiliate community needs with grantmaking opportunities.
- Provide communications and marketing oversight, including management of Affiliate websites. Ensure communications and marketing activities align with ACF guidelines.
- Collaborate with the Affiliate Team and other ACF staff to provide training and networking opportunities. Assist with the planning and coordination of an annual convening for Affiliate Program Managers and Advisory Board members.
- Work as a part of a multidisciplinary team to ensure the effective and efficient operations of ACF and the Affiliate Program.
- Ensure that the Affiliate Program is current with best practices for community foundations and in compliance with the National Standards for U.S Community Foundations Accreditation.
- Represent ACF and promote the work of the Affiliates/Partners in the community and at selected meetings, forums, and conferences as directed.
- Participate in activities in the philanthropic field to enhance Foundation expertise and strengthen the professional network.
- Participate in relevant professional associations and organizations.
- Work with the ACF team to enhance the organization’s vision and strategic initiatives.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, open design environment with competing demands, while maintaining high quality work product.
- Experience with management of programs, projects, grants, and databases.
- Ability to supervise a diverse set of managers from remote locations across the state.
- Experience with communications and marketing activities, including website management and social media.
- Strong communication, analytical, budget management, and networking skills.
- Creative and effective interpersonal, problem solving, and consensus building skills.
- Ability to work with diverse populations and motivate a wide variety of stakeholders, including Affiliate Program Managers, Advisory Board members, funders, grantees, and donors.
- Experience working directly with people from diverse racial, ethnic, and socioeconomic backgrounds
- Ability to flex communication style to multiple cultural environments
- Knowledge of and commitment to Alaska and its cultures with an interest in the work of ACF.
- Minimum of 3-5 years of experience in program management and/or working in a nonprofit agency or philanthropic organization.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience. Advanced degree or additional professional experience preferred.
- Experience managing projects, staff, grants, databases, and/or websites.
- Demonstrated proficiency using Microsoft Office programs including O365. Ability to learn and utilize other software.
- Experience working with donors preferred.
- Demonstrated qualities of integrity, loyalty, confidentiality, and self-motivation.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality.
- Willingness and ability to work occasional evenings and weekends for program and ACF-related events.
- Willingness and ability to travel to Affiliate communities.
Salary range is between $65,000 to $80,000 and is commensurate with experience. Benefits include, but are not limited to health, vision, dental, and a retirement plan with employer participation after one year of service.
The Senior Affiliate Program Officer position is currently open and will close on Friday, October 30th. Applications must include a cover letter, resume, and references. Please send to Christine Brown at firstname.lastname@example.org