Mr. DeWitt was a long-time math teacher at Lathrop High School and West Valley High School for many years. Although he had no children of his own, one could say he raised a number of generations of Fairbanks youth through his tenure.
He quietly provided scholarship funds since 2010 through the Fairbanks Retired Teachers Association to support Fairbanks students. He has bequeathed his estate to support and encourage Fairbanks North Star Borough high school students to further their academic pursuits.
The scholarship fund will provide two awards of $2,500 each in 2021.
- High school graduate that attended a Fairbanks North Star Borough School District high school for Junior and Senior years.
- Not within the top 10% of their graduating class. (GPA 2.75-3.5 required)
- Attending or enrolling in an accredited college or university that does not require any religious viewpoint or tenant (including school pressures) for admission, attendance, or graduation. Exclusive online university programs are not eligible.
- A personal essay including your past accomplishments, work experience, community service, and future plans.
- Three letters of recommendation. Two from the applicant’s high school teachers and one from a non-family adult.
- Breakdown of financial need to include student statement.
IMPORTANT: Successful applicants must submit their college or university student ID number and program information to ACF through the online system before their award can be disbursed. If we do not receive the above information by July 31, 2021, the scholarship may not be awarded. Please contact ACF if you cannot send in the information by this date.