A fund supporting scholarships for track and field, or cross country high school student-athletes in Anchorage
Hello, I’m Barry Koch. I Grew up in southern California, where cross country and track & field were among the highlights of my high school years. After many years of pursuing different education and job opportunities, I ended up here in Alaska, where I became a teacher, coach, and finally, an official starter for cross country and track & field in Anchorage.
I want to do is give back to the running community that has been so important to me by awarding two $2000.00 scholarships each year. The scholarships will be awarded to any region IV or Anchorage area high school seniors who apply to college or technical school.
- Any Region IV or Anchorage area graduating high school senior applying to college, university or technical college.
- GPA of 2.5 or higher
- Two or more years of participation in track, field or cross country running
- Demonstrated financial need
- Students considering a career in education
Criteria (in addition to those listed on the main scholarship site):
- Personal Essay (no more than 2 paragraphs) explaining how participating in athletics has positively contributed to his/her high school experience.
- Recommendation from track, field or cross country coach