The Neal O. Thorpe Scholarship is not currently accepting applications.
The Neal O. Thorpe Memorial Scholarship will run March 7, 2017- April 28, 2017. Applications are due not later than 5 pm AKST.
The Neal O. Thorpe Memorial Scholarship supports Alaskan students’ attendance to one of 14 eligible universities and colleges. Dr. Thorpe was a Trustee and Executive Director of the Murdock Charitable Trust and had deep ties to Alaska through his work to improve the quality of life for Alaskans. Dr. Thorpe enjoyed flying, and for many years owned and flew his own small private plane. A humble and quiet man, Dr. Thorpe’s hearty and infectious laugh could nonetheless often be heard and enjoyed from far away. Understated but wise, he always thought carefully and thoroughly before speaking. His dry sense of humor and keen wit displayed the apparent spontaneity that only careful thought can produce. Dr. Thorpe did many things well, and was very much appreciated and loved by all those who worked with him. He would wish to be especially remembered as a person of strong faith, deep personal integrity, and deep love for his family.
The Neal O. Thorpe Memorial Scholarship awards successful applicants $7,500 for up to five years (totaling up to $37,500), with the consideration of a fifth year, in extenuating circumstances. The scholarship will be paid directly to the applicant’s school to cover education expenses.
Preference will be given to Alaska Native students. Strong preference will be given to students who are the first in their immediate family to attend college or university, although non-first generation students may also apply
- Applicant must be an Alaska resident
- Applicant must be a graduate/soon-to-be graduate of a high school or equivalent program located in Alaska
- Preference is for applicants that are the first in their immediate family to pursue a post-secondary degree, although other students attending eligible universities and colleges may apply (see below)
- Applicant must be accepted and plan to enroll at one of the 14 eligible universities:
- Alaska Christian College – Soldotna, AK
- Alaska Pacific University – Anchorage, AK
- Concordia University – Portland, OR
- Corban College – Salem, OR
- George Fox University – Newberg, OR
- Montana Bible College -Bozeman, MT
- Multnomah University – Portland, OR
- Northwest Nazarene – Nampa, ID
- Northwest University – Kirkland, WA
- Pacific Lutheran University – Tacoma, WA
- Seattle Pacific University – Seattle, WA
- University of Portland – Portland, OR
- Warner Pacific College – Portland, OR
- Whitworth University – Spokane, WA
- Personal Essay
- High School Transcripts
- Explanation of Expenses
- Education and Background information
- Letters of Recommendation- Two Required
IMPORTANT: Successful applicants must submit their student ID number and program information to ACF through the online system before their award can be disbursed. If we do not receive the above information by September 30, 2017, the scholarship may not be awarded. Please contact ACF if you cannot send in the information by this date.