The Sven and Lorraine Eriksson Alaska Scholarship is currently accepting applications.
The 2017 Sven and Lorraine Eriksson Scholarship will run March 7, 2017- April 28, 2017. Applications must be submitted no later than 5 pm AKST.
Sven and Lorraine Eriksson are true Alaskan pioneers. Sven moved to Alaska in 1951 where he worked as an electrical engineer for Post Engineers, going on to become the Chief of Utilities for US Army Installations. Lorraine moved to Alaska in 1952 and worked for first for Yukon Equipment followed by Ed’s Electric. They were married in 1953, and spent their honeymoon at the old Mt. McKinley Hotel during December when outside temperatures were fifty below zero. The Eriksson’s operated Ed’s Electric from 1974-1997. They have spent their lives enjoying Alaska; flying, skiing, hunting and fishing with their two sons, Kurt and Chris.
The Sven and Lorraine Eriksson Alaska Scholarship will provide awards of up to $2,500 per year for up to 4 years (maximum of $10,000) to Alaskan students studying engineering or music at the University of Alaska.
- Applicants must be enrolled full-time at the University of Alaska for the upcoming academic year and plan to study electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, civil engineering or music.
- Incoming university freshman must have a cumulative high school GPA of 2.5 or higher; continuing university students must have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- Applicant should demonstrate academic motivation and success
- Applicant must have demonstrated financial need
- Applicant should demonstrate leadership qualities, evidenced through extracurricular and community involvement and letters of recommendation.
IMPORTANT: Successful applicants must submit their student ID number and program information to ACF through the online system before their award can be disbursed. If we do not receive the above information by September 30, 2017, the scholarship may not be awarded. Please contact ACF if you cannot send in the information by this date.